A quick,easy, aromatic,spicy and nutritious biryani with addition of chickpeas.
- 1 cup long grained rice ( washed well, soaked in water for 10 minutes and cooked 1 shade less than regular in water to which a bayleaf, cinnamon stick,3 black pepper, 1 masala elaichi, 2 blades of mace(javitri) 3 cloves and salt are added)
- 3/4th cup dried chole/ white chickpeas rinsed and soaked in water overnight or for 8 hours, rinse and just cook with a little salt and a pinch of turmeric in pressure cooker. I used small variety chole and pressure cooked for 4 whistles. The chole should not be mushy
- 3 tbsp oil
- 4 to 5 onions thinly sliced lengthwise
- Approximately 2 onions deep fried onions cut lengthwise thinly(as per requirement)
- 2 tsp green chilli crushed
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder (adjust to spice required)
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 2 tsp garlic paste
- 2 to 3 tbsp fresh whisked curds
- 1 tsp biryani masala OR 1/2 tsp garam masala(adjust to taste)
- Coriander leaves finely chopped as required
- 3 to 4 drops of biryani essence (add depending on how concentrated it is)
- 1 small tsp kesar mixed in a little milk
- Heat oil in a pan add finely sliced onion with a pinch of salt(onion cooks faster). Saute well till brown add ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, biryani masala or garam masala,saute well, add whisked curds and mix well and add just a litte water so that the gravy gets even and finally add cooked chole. Add salt only if required.Simmer and keep aside.
- In a large nonstick/ceramic pan, spread one portion of rice then a few fried onions, then a little crushed chilli then coriander leaves then chole gravy.Spread the second portion of rice, spread same layers with chole layer on top and finally drizzle drops of biryani flavour essence and kesar milk from sides. Cover and cook on low flame for about 8 to 10 minutes or till the rice is cooked.Biryani is ready to serve.
- Serve hot with extra chole gravy, raita of your choice and minty onion salad.
- In this recipe onions contribute to the basic gravy. The onions should be browned but NOT burnt, only then you will get the perfect flavour.
- Adding biryani flavour essence is optional but it does add to the aroma of the biryani.
- You could even sprinkle fried cashews if you like.
- Cooking time of chole varies depending in size and quality so cook accordingly.