Ridge gourd is very beneficial for health and so is its skin. Ridge gourd is loaded with vitamins and very beneficial for overall health too. Do not discard the skin of ridge gourd. It is loaded with nutrition too. Delicious chutney is prepared using easily available ingredients, that goes well with appe, dal rice, curd rice, dhirdis, amboli, dosas etc.
- 1 cup ridge gourd peel (skin)
- 2 tbsp grated coconut
- 6 to 8 shallots roughly chopped
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 1/2 tsp split black gram dal / urad dal
- 3 to 4 green chillies(adjust to taste)
- 1/4th tsp asafoetida
- A piece of tamarind
- Salt to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp urad dal / split black gram dal
- 1/4th tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4th tsp cumin seeds
- 5 to 6 curry leaves
- 1 broken dry red chilly
- Rinse the ridge gourd well, cut off the ends, check the taste of the ridge gourd. If bitter discard it as it will spoil the taste of the chutney. If sweet peel its outer skin. Rinse the skin again and cut it roughly so that it is easier to roast it.
- Heat oil in a pan, add urad dal, saute till golden, add asafoetida, the chopped shallots, saute till golden. The onions should turn golden if not you’ll feel the raw taste of sahllots while eating. Add the ridge gourd peels and saute well, add green chillies, and mix well. Add salt so that the peels soften and cook faster. As the peel cooks its colour also darkens. Once cooked add in the freshly scraped coconut, a piece of tamarind, mix well and switch off the flame. Let the mix cool.
- Grind the above ingredients to a paste adding little water. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- In a seasoning pan heat oil, add urad dal, saute till golden, once golden transfer to a plate. In the same pan add mustard seeds to the left over oil, once it splutters, add cumin seeds, dry red chilli and curry leaves. Switch off the flame, add the roasted urad dal, mix well and pour the tempering over the chutney.
- This chutney goes very well with dal rice, pancakes and dosas, appe, ambolis, dhirdis, curd rice too.