Magh Ganeshotsav, is an auspicious day dedicated to Lord Ganesha in the Magh month that falls in(January – February). Ganesh Jayanti 2020 is today January 28. This day is believed to be the birthday of Lord Ganesh in many parts of Maharashtra and Goa. The festival is of great importance to Ganapati devotees in Maharashtra. On this occassion I prepared Ras Appe for naivedyam. I’m happy I could get the modak shaped jaggery @ the Mahalakshmi Saras exhibtion held @ MMRDA grounds, Bandra. These modak are of organic / chemical free/ sendriya gul / jaggery. I personally love to use jaggery and when you get it in different shapes, it is happiness overloaded. I managed to get trapezoidal shaped and a rectangular slab of jaggery too. I have used the same to make coconut milk. Also I have used unpolished split black gram / urad dal and unpolished kolam rice that I bought from the exhibition to prepare the appe and the end result was simply delicious. I was’nt very sure how the appe would turn out after using unpolished grains, but they turned out to be very soft and fluffy. Posting the recipe of the very delectable Ras Appe below.
Sweet coconut milk
- 2 cups fresh coconut milk
- Jaggery as per individual taste ( I used chemical free jaggery)
- 1/4th tsp cardamom powder
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg powder
- In a mixing bowl combine coconut milk and jaggery.
- Once the jaggery dissolves add cardamom powder, nutmeg powder. Transfer into a serving bowl and keep aside.
- 1/2 cup unpolished split black gram dal(urad dal)
- 1 cup unpolished kolam rice
- 1/2 fenugreek seeds (methi seeds)
- Salt to taste
- Oil to shallow fry the appe
- Rinse the unpolished split black gram dal (urad dal) and unpolished raw rice well separately. Soak them separately in water for at least 4 to 5 hours. Soak the fenugreek seeds along with split black gram dal.
- Grind the urad dal to a smooth paste adding a little water at a time.Grind the rice to a slightly coarse paste separately adding little water. Mix both the batters well, add salt and mix well by hand. Cover and keep the batter aside overnight to ferment.
- Next morning mix the batter well again. The batter should be of thick dropping consistency.
- To prepare the appe first heat the pan on low flame and when hot grease each depression of the appe pan with oil . Fill each depression only 3/4th with the batter. Cover with a steam release lid and cook on low flame till very light golden in colour. Turn over with a fork and fry the other side till done without cover.
- Once done remove the appe and dip the hot appe in the sweet coconut milk.
- After 3 to 4 minutes serve appe dipped in sweet coconut milk in dessert bowls and serve it as a sweet dessert or as an accompaniment with any spicy breakfast dish.
- The appe should be just crisp not very crisp as the coconut milk should be absorbed by the appe.
- DO NOT SOAK the appe for long as they swell as the coconut milk gets absorbed.