Appe are shallow fried dumplings that make a perfect breakfast choice. Most important they can be made with left over idli batter too. If prepared in a cast iron appe pan, the taste is simply over the top. Simple recipe, yes but very delectable I’d say. Posting the same below.
- 1/2 cup split black gram dal(urad dal)
- 1 cup raw rice (I used sona masoori)
- 1/8th tsp fenugreek seeds (methi seeds)
- Salt to taste
- Oil to shallow fry the appe
- Rinse split black gram dal (urad dal) and raw rice well. Soak them separately in water for at least 4 hours. Soak the fenugreek seeds along with rice.
- Grind the rice to a slightly coarse paste and urad dal to a smooth paste separately adding little water. Mix both the batters well, add salt and mix well. Cover and keep the batter aside overnight to ferment.
- Next morning mix the batter well. Check the taste for salt. Add if required. The batter should be of thick dropping consistency. If not add a little water, stir well to get an even mix of dropping consistency.
- To prepare the appe first heat the appe pan on low flame and when hot grease each depression of the appe pan with oil. Fill in each depression only 3/4th with the batter. Cover with a steam release lid and cook on low flame till light golden in colour on the underside and top is cooked. Turn over with a fork and fry the other side till done. Stir the batter each time you fill the appe depression, as the rice being slightly coarse, will tend to settle down.
- Serve hot with spicy coconut chutney or raw mango chutney.
- Taste best when served hot.
- Using a cast iron appe pan also known as bhidacha appe patra in Marathi gives the perfect taste and texture to the appe that is crisp on the outside and soft inside. I do admit it requires a little extra oil. In case you are using a cast iron appe pan grease it with oil the night prior to making the appe. By doing so the appe will not stick to the moulds.
- Now, why should one grind the rice to a slightly coarse paste? Well, simply because when you grind rice a little coarsely the appe will get a very nice spongy inner texture as the slightly coarse rice gets cooked.
- Shallow fry on LOW flame only.
Posting the link to Raw Mango Chutney below