On festive occassions we do prepare sweet dishes some of which are time consuming, which is why to save time, I try cooking simple easy peasy meal combos like pulao raita or the simple gravies to go with steaming hot rice with no added accompaniments required. Mix vegetable rice being one of them, is a favourite of mine which hardly takes up any time and is a quick, easy and flavourful recipe that goes well with any raita or spiced buttermilk.
- 1 cup basmati rice
- Squeeze of half a lemon
- 1/4th cup fresh green peas
- 1/4th cup cubed potatoes
- 1/4th cup cubed carrots
- 1/8th cup (1/2 tomato deseeded) cubed tomato (optional. I added since it was left over)
- 1 1/2 tbsp oil + 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 bay leaf, 1 black cardamom, 1 stick of cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 tsp kashmiri chilli powder
- 1/4th tsp spicy chilli powder
Green masala to be ground to a paste
- 2 green chillies ( adjust to spice required)
- 6 sprigs of coriander leaves
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1/4th” piece of ginger
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups hot water OR as required
Kachha / dry masala be ground to a powder without adding water the spices mentioned below
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/4th tsp cumin seeds
- 2 cloves
- 4 black pepper
- 1/4th” piece cinnamon
- 1 small masala velchi /badi elaichi/ black cardamom (use only the seeds)
- 2 blades mace
- Rinse the rice at least thrice to get rid of excess starch. Drain the water, sprinkle the squeeze of half a lemon, and a little of the green masala, mix well and keep aside. This will help to give firm texture to the rice.
- Heat a nonstick/ ceramic pan, add oil, add a bay leaf, black cardamom and a cinnamon stick, then add onions and saute till golden brown. It’s this golden brown/ fried taste of onion that adds aroma to the rice. Add green masala paste and saute till aromatic. Add turmeric powder, kashmiri chilli powder and spicy chilli powder, stir well then add the potatoes, green peas, carrots and saute well. Add rice and saute well till the masala coats the rice.
- Add hot water, mix well and add 2 tsp ghee and bring to a boil. Now place a tawa /skillet below the pan and cook the rice so that the rice gets cooked properly and does’nt get burnt at the bottom. When the rice is 3/4th done, add the kachha or dry masala, salt , give the rice mix a stir,and cook till done.Cover and cook till done. Once done open the lid and add 1 tsp ghee and mix well.
- Serve hot with tempered spiced buttermilk or raita of your choice. Tastes yumm.
- Adjust spice levels to individual choice.
- Whenever you use cardamom or black cardamom, always store its skin in an airtight container. When you want to use cardamom only for the purpose of flavour add the skin of about 3 to 4 cardamom or as required. it’ll release the aroma necessary.
Posting the link to the spiced tempered buttermilk below