Mushroom fried rice is a regular vegetable fried rice recipe with the added goodness mushrooms which lends an awesome taste to the fried rice. And yes a simple mushroom stir fry to go with it.
MUSHROOM FRIED RICE
- 1 1/2 tbsp peanut / groundnut oil
- 4 cups cooked basmati or any long grained rice
- 1 cup mushrooms cut into quarters
- 1/2 cups mixed variety of capsicum cut into cubes (red and yellow. I have used thin skinned bhavnagri chilli instead of green capsicum)
- 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic (adjust to taste)
- 1/4th” piece of ginger chopped fine
- 1 green chilly chopped fine ( for spice (optional))
- 1/4th cup spring onion whites chopped lengthwise
- 1 spring onion greens blade chopped fine to garnish
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp vinegar
- 1/2 tsp white pepper powder
- Salt to taste
- Heat a wok over a high flame add 1 1/2 tbsp oil and swirl it so that it coats the wok. Reduce the flame add the diced onions and stirfry, then add finely chopped ginger, garlic and stirfry.
- Then add mushrooms, saute occasionally keeping the flame on medium to medium high as mushrooms release moisture. As they get cooked they’ll shrink in size, then add capsicum and saute well. Do not cook for long as the capsicum should stay crunchy.
- Add cooked rice, and stir fry again. Add white pepper powder and salt.
- Add light soy sauce,and toss well so that the soy sauce coats the rice and veggies well. Finally sprinkle 1/2 tsp vinegar and mix well.
- Garnish with spring onion greens. Serve hot.
- The whole cooking should be done on high flame and constant stir frying to get the crunchy effect.
- Use peanut/groundnut oil.It makes a huge difference tastewise. Also Chinese cooking requires stir frying on high flame and groundnut oil can sustain high temperature.
- Light Soy Sauce is saltier so take it into consideration while adding salt.
- The flavour of soy sauce varies from brand to brand, so use accordingly. I have used Lee Kum Kee brand of Light Soy Sauce.
Cooking the rice by open pot method :
- Wash 3/4th cup rice 3 to 4 times to let go off excess starch and till water runs clear, drain the water.Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Add approximately four times the quantity of water in a heavy bottomed pan and boil it. Add the rice, 1 tsp lime juice and 2 tsps of oil. Adding oil prevents the boiling water from spilling over the pan.
- Let it boil and once the rice is nearly cooked drain off excess water, transfer the rice to a flat plate and fluff up the rice with a fork. The rice should be tender but not mushy.
- Rinse basmati rice, drain the water and set aside for about 30min. This reduces cooking time.
- Adding 1 tsp lemon juice to the rice while cooking gives separate grains of rice as well as a brighter look to the rice.
- 3/4th cup long grained rice gives approximately 4 cups rice after cooking depending on the size and quality of the grain. ( I have used extra long basmati rice).
- Bhavnagri chillies are in season, thin skinned small variety of bhavnagri chillies can be used instead of capsicum. They look like capsicum only but their skin is thin. They really taste good. I have used them here instead of green capsicum.
MUSHROOM STIR FRY
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 tbsp ginger grated
- 3 to 4 green chillies slit lengthwise
- 2 cups mushrooms cut into quarters if small OR sliced vertically if big
- 1 1/2 cups mixed variety of capsicum cut into cubes (red and yellow. I have used thin skinned bhavnagri chilli instead of green capsicum)
- 1/4th +1/8th cup diced spring onion whites
- 1/8th cup spring onion greens finely cut for garnishing
- 2 1/2 tsp dark soya sauce ( adjust to taste)
- 1/4th tsp coarsely crushed black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a flat pan on high flame add garlic, saute till pale golden, add diced spring onion whites, ginger and green chillies, stir fry. You got to be quick as chinese cooking is done on high flame and also the crunchiness of veggies has to be retained. Add the mixed variety of capsicum, stir fry. Now transfer the stir fried veggies onto a plate and in the same pan, add 1 tbsp oil, once hot add the add mushrooms and saute on medium to medium high flame till its moisture content evaporates taking care not to burn the mushrooms. A sign that the mushrooms are cooked is they’ll shrink in size. Now add the stirfried veggies kept aside, mix well. Add dark soy sauce, salt to taste and sprinkle freshly crushed black pepper. Stir fry well. Garnish with spring onion greens. Serve hot with mushroom fried rice.
- This recipe tastes best when served off the flame to the serving plate.
- When buying mushrooms, always choose firm ones without any moisture outside.
- Mushrooms should not be soaked in water as they are porous and absorb water and they lose their flavour when they absorb a lot of water. Hence it is usually mentioned to wipe clean mushrooms. I trim the stems and rinse them lightly one at a time under tap water and do not soak them in water. After rinsing, pat dry immediately with a soft cloth. Cut into quarters or slit lengthwise depending on its size. Do not make thin slices as mushrooms shrink when cooked as the moisture evaporates.
- Constant stirring is required as the veggies are stir fried on high flame.
- Mushrooms release moisture, hence stir fry them separately on medium to medium high flame so that its water content evaporates. Hence the stir fried veggies are added once the mushrooms are cooked, so that the crunchiness of the veggies is retained.
- Adjust spice levels to individual choice keeping in mind black pepper and chillies are spicy.
- Add soy sauce as per taste as different brands have varied flavours.
- It is better to use a flat based pan so that the mushrooms are placed in a single layer and get cooked evenly.
Happy Cooking !!!!