Well, I actually love green chilli pickle but I never tried making the same at home, it always used to be store bought pickle, until I came across Chef Ranveer Brar’s series ‘Maa Ki Baat’ on his channel on you tube. Thanks to Chef Ranveer for coming up with this wonderful series where you get to learn simple tricks/tips that give fabulous taste to the basic recipe, one being Green Chilli Pickle the recipe of which was shared by Kiran Shah Ma’am. Thanx to her, green chilli pickle is a regular at my place these days, the best part being its an instant hassle free recipe made with fresh mildly spicy variety of green chillies. The proportions and variety of chillies do vary a bit but the end product was very tasty. Sharing the same below.
- 100 gms approximately 3/4 +1/8 cup approximately 19 (depending in length of chillies) mildly spicy variety of green chillies
- 3 1/2 tbsp split mustard seeds
- 1 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 3/4 tsp asafoetida
- 4 tbsp peanut oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt to taste
- Rinse the chillies well and pat dry totally on a dry cotton cloth. Cut the chillies horizontally into 1/2 cm roundels approximately. Sprinkle split mustard seeds, asafoetida, turmeric powder, salt and mix well. Add oil and mix well. Finally add the juice of one lemon and mix well so that the chillies are well coated. Green chilli pickle is ready to be served with parathas, theplas or even with dal rice.
- Vatwani variety of red chillies and mildly spicy green chillies were mentioned in the basic recipe. I have used only green chillies as the other variety was’nt available. If you manage to get it do try using them.
- This pickle tastes yumm even if curds is added to it and served with theplas.