Pickle is an integral part of a simple or even an elaborate meal. It being the mango season, fresh raw mango pickle is prepared at my place every other day and yes I love it to the core. Posting a quick and easy instant raw mango pickle recipe the way I love it, using salt crystals / khada mith and asafoetida crystals / khada hing which imparts a perfect flavour to the pickle.
• 2 firm unripe mature dark green mangoes ( approximately 2 cups raw mango cubes)
• 2 tsp split mustard seeds(mohrichi dal)
• 3/4th tsp turmeric powder
• 4 1/2 to 5 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder (adjust to individual taste)
• 1/2 tsp asafoetida crystals/ khada hing OR Hira hing
• 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
• 1 1/2 tsp to 2 tsp pink crystal salt OR regular crystal salt ( adjust to taste)
• 5 1/2 tsp oil + 1 tsp oil to roast fenugeerk seeds and asafoetida crystals ( adjust to individual choice)
• Rinse the raw mangoes thoroughly and pat dry totally with a clean cotton cloth. Retain the skin and cut them into small cubes so that the pickle masala coats the pieces well. Apply 1/2 tsp crystal salt and set aside in a mixing bowl.
• In a seasoning pan heat 1 tsp oil,add fenugreek seeds, roast till it turns pinkish, transfer it to a plate, and let it cool. Then in the same pan fry khada hing / asafoetida crystals and transfer to a plate. Once cool separately pound fenugreek seeds, asafoetida crystals and crystal salt in a mortar and pestle and transfer to a plate. I have pounded the split mustard seeds/ mohri chi dal too a bit.
• In the same seasoning pan heat 5 1/2 tsp oil to smoking point, switch off the flame and let it warm. Once warm add the crushed split mustard seeds, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and mix well. Then add crushed asafoetida, salt and fenugreek seeds. Mix well. Once cool add this spice mix to the raw mango pieces and mix well with a dry wooden spoon till the spices coat the raw mango pieces totally.
• Transfer the pickle to a clean, totally dry glass jar. Referigerate the pickle and remove only as much pickle as needed during each use. Use a dry spoon each time.This pickle stays fresh for more than a week if handled properly. Fresh raw mango pickle tastes simply wow.
• Serve it with dal rice,curd rice,sweet puris, bhakris, thalipeeth or parathas.
• The mangoes should be firm,sour,unripe and the flesh should be white and the skin blemish free.
• If you can manage to get Hira khada hing/ asafoetida crystals do use it, it imparts an awesome flavour to the pickle. It is available in loose quantity at the grocers.
• Split mustard seeds is the main ingredient that gives the pickle its flavour. Do not skip it. It is easily available at the grocery store.
• The quantity of oil mentioned is enough for the pickle. DO NOT ADD more oil as it tends to give an unpleasant odour even if refrigerated. Instead remove required quantity of pickle for each use and you can prepare a fresh seasoning (heat, cool oil and pour over the pickle)over the quantity removed. But actually you don’t really need it. I’m mentioning this only because some people like it that way. I have used refined groundnut oil.
• I have used pink crystal salt as it is healthier than regular table salt and also a good preservative and yes last but not the least imparts a perfect flavour to the pickle. Try and use crystal salt instead of table salt. You can use regular crystal salt too.
• I prefer making raw mango pickle in small batches as these days raw mangoes are literally available throughout the year. Most important you can enjoy its flavours using comparatively lesser amount of oil and salt.