Mushrooms are high in antioxidants, low in sodium, fat, cholesterol and calories. Hence very good for health. Posting below mushroom kolhapuri using kanda lasoon masala that’s spicy and tasty and is easily available in stores.You can adjust spice level according to your tastebuds. The kanda lasoon masala that I have used is by home chef Minal Kamat and it has the perfect blend of flavours.
- 12 button mushrooms
For the wet masala :
- 3 tbsp dry grated coconut
- 1 tsp oil to roast the onion
- 1 1/2 tbsp onion sliced thinly lengthwise
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/8″ piece of ginger
- 1 sprig of coriander leaves
For the final gravy
- 1 tbsp onion finely chopped
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 tsp kashmiri chilli powder( adjust to taste)
- 5 tsp kolhapuri kanda lasoon masala ( adjust to spice required)
- Salt to taste
- Finely chopped coriander leaves to garnish
- Rinse the mushrooms well to let go of excess dirt and pat dry with a soft clean cloth or paper towel. If the mushrooms are big cut them into 4 pieces vertically.
- Dry roast the dry grated coconut till brown taking care not to burn it. Once done transfer to a plate. Heat 1 tsp oil in a seasoning pan and roast thinly sliced onions till golden brown. Once done switch off flame and let it cool. Grind the roasted coconut, shallow fried onion, garlic,ginger and coriander leaves to a smooth paste adding little water. Set aside. This is the wet masala.
- In a pan, heat oil , add finely chopped onion, saute till transluscent , add the ground wet masala paste, saute well, add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and kanda lasoon masala and saute well. Add hot water as required to get the desired consistency, now add salt ONLY IF REQUIRED as kanda lasoon masala is salty by itself and stir well. Once it boils add the mushrooms and let it cook till soft. Mushrooms do not take much time to cook say about 4 minutes on low heat. Bring to a boil and garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with rice, solkadi, onion tomato salad and a pickle of your choice or with bhakris or sorghum flour vade recipe of which has been posted earlier.
- You can add a very small piece of tamarind while grinding the wet masala, I did not feel the need to here so have’nt added.
- The flavour and spice of kanda lasoon masala is variable, hence adjust spice level accordingly. If you want to go low on spice reduce the quantity of kanda lasoon masala, and increase the quantity of kashmiri chilli powder which is less spicy and at the same time it will retain the colour of the gravy.
- When buying mushrooms, always choose firm ones without any moisture outside.
- Mushrooms should not be soaked in water as they are porous and absorb water and they lose their flavour when they absorb a lot of water. Hence it is usually mentioned to wipe clean mushrooms. BUT I rinse them thoroughly one at a time under tap water and do not soak them in water. After rinsing, pat dry immediately with a soft cloth or paper towel.