Season’s favourite sweet dish : Carrot / Gajar Halwa. Gajar Halwa is one dessert that is loved by all. In winters the best juicy and bright carrots are available and yes they lend an awesome flavour to the halwa. A versatile recipe that can be prepared in a number of ways. Posting my version to the same.
- 3 1/2 cups (approximately 750 grams) fresh tender juicy grated carrots
- 8 tbsp sugar ( adjust to sweetness required)
- 8 tbsp or 100 gms grated khoya(mava)(I used store bought khoya)
- 1 tbsp chopped almonds
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder + to sprinkle while garnishing
- 1 tbsp ghee + 2 tsp ghee to add while cooking
- Rinse the carrots, peel the skin, rinse again and grate them. I do not use the inner core/ white portion of the carrots, so that the colour of the halwa stays even. Heat ghee in a flat nonstick/ ceramic pan, add the grated carrots,mix well and cover with a steam release lid and cook on low flame till soft stirring frequently. The carrots will start changing colour too. They’ll brighten up as they cook.
- Once soft add the sugar and mix well and keep stirring continuously till it blends very well with the carrots, the sugar will dissolve and release moisture. Cook till the mixture leaves the sides of the pan and till the moisture evaporates and the carrot mix thickens. Add the khoya and mix well till it blends with the carrot mix. Add 1 tsp of ghee and cook till the halwa is fragrant and till done. Finally add another tsp of ghee and mix well so that the halwa gets a nice glaze.
- Add cardamom powder, almonds and mix well. Serve hot garnished with a sprinkle of cardamom powder and chopped almonds.
THANK YOU FOR VISITING MY BLOG