Garden cress seeds / aliv / halim are a rich source of iron, calcium, folate, beta carotene, Vitamins to name a few. High in nutrition, they are good for health, however moderate consumption of the seeds is recommended. Excessive consumption of the seeds is NOT recommended and also it is NOT recommended for pregnant women. I have added the quantity of seeds in moderation and if eaten the right way its very good for health. Just the other day I came across a post by dietician Rijuta Diwekar wherin she mentioned the best way to consume aliv seeds is aliv laddoos and kheer. Why so??? well that’s because aliv when consumed with coconut, jaggery and a bit of ghee in the form of laddoos Or in a kheer form is easier to digest. LIMIT OF THESE laddoos is ONLY ONE PER DAY. Garden cress have a lot of medicinal properties but should be eaten in MODERATION only.
Posting a quick and easy laddoo recipe with the added goodness jaggery.
- 1 cup fresh grated coconut
- 2 tbsp garden cress seeds
- 3/4th cup jaggery (adjust to taste OR as per sweetness of jaggery. I have used organic jaggery)
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- A pinch of nutmeg powder
- 1/2 cup coconut water OR regular drinking water
- 8 to 10 roasted cashews to garnish
- 1 tsp ghee to be added to the mix + A little bit of ghee to grease the palms
- Almonds and raisins can also be used
- Clean the garden cress seeds and soak them in coconut water OR plain drinking water for approximately 2hours. They will swell up.
- Heat a tsp of ghee in a flat pan, add jaggery, mix well, let it melt, add the soaked water cress seeds and cook on low flame, then add in the freshly grated coconut, mix well and cook till the mix thickens. Stir continuously, a stage is reached when the mixture will start leaving the edges of the pan.It will start drying, switch off the flame and allow the mixture to cool down.
- Grease your palms with a little ghee. Now divide the mixture into small balls. Shape into a round shape with the help of your palm. Garnish with roasted cashews.
- Serve right away or store in an airtight container in the referigerator as fresh coconut is used.
- This proportion yeilds around 14 small sized laddoos.
- Its best to prepare these laddoos in small quantities and eaten fresh.
- I have used organic jaggery, hence the dark colour to the laddoos.
- These laddoos stay fresh in the referigerator for about 4 to 5 days.