On the auspicious occasion of Lakshmi Poojan may joy, prosperity, and happiness Illuminate everyone’s life and home. Posting a simple yet favourite recipe of Rice Payassam offered as naivedyam to Goddess Lakshmi.
Rice Payasam/Kheer is the simplest, easiest and classic traditional festive recipe offered as naivedyam and loved by one and all.
- 1/2 cup raw rice( I used tukda basmati rice)
- Approximately 2 1/2 cups water to cook the rice
- 1 cup Jaggery OR as per individual taste
- 2 cups fresh coconut milk(or as required) to which 2 tsp of rice flour is added and mixed well so that it does not split when heated
- 1/8 tsp cardamom powder
- A pinch of nutmeg powder
- 8 to 10 cashews roasted in 1 tsp of ghee
- 8 to 10 Raisns
- Rinse the rice well to let go of the excess starch. Drain the water and keep aside for 20 minutes.
- Heat approximately 2 1/2 cups water add the rice and let it cook. In case you feel you need more water to cook it then add a little more water. Once done add the crushed jaggery, stir well add coconut milk, mix well and bring to a boil. Add cardamom powder, nutmeg powder and garnish with fried cashews and raisins.
- Serve hot or warm as a sweet with lunch/dinner or as a dessert too.
- Adding 2 tsp of rice flour is important, if not the coconut milk may split when heated.
- Actually long grained basmati rice is used to prepare payasam, however I have used tukda basmati rice as the cooked rice gels well with the coconut milk.