Chibud/ muskmelon harshale is a popular sweet from konkani / goan cuisine that is prepared on fasting days as well as offered as naivedyam or even otherwise. There are many varieties of muskmelon available in the market. I have used the cantaloupe variety as it is less sweet and gels well with sweetened coconut milk. Loaded with fiber, Vitamin C, high water content etc it is beneficial for health, hence try and include the same in your diet.
- 1 cup ripe musk melon cut into small cubes
- 1/4th cup thin flattened rice/ patal pohe
- 11/4th cup thick fresh coconut milk
- 1/4th cup jaggery OR as per individual taste
- 1/8 tsp cardamom powder
- A pinch of nutmeg (optional)
- Peel the skin of the muskmelon, rinse it well and cut it into small cubes.
- Extract fresh coconut milk from about 2 cups of fresh grated coconut. In a mixing bowl combine fresh coconut milk and jaggery. Once the jaggery dissolves add cardamom powder, nutmeg powder, musk melon cubes. Let it chill in the referigerator for anout 20 to 25 minutes. Just before serving add thin flattened rice.
- Transfer into a serving bowl and serve it as a sweet dessert.
- Muskmelon comes in various varities. Cantaloupe variety of muskmelon tastes the best as they are less sweet than the other varieties. The combination of less sweet cantaloupe with sweetened coconut milk lends the perfect flavour to the harshale.