Bread Roll is a snack/ tea time recipe that’s quick and easy to prepare. Here bread slice is stuffed with spiced potato mix and shaped into a roll and then deep fried. Posting the recipe below.
- 4 medium sized boiled potatoes(approximately 1 1/4th cup grated boiled potatoes)
- 1 processed cheese cube OR 2 tbsp mozzarella cheese
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1/4th” piece of ginger
- 4 to 5 green chillies(adjust to taste)
- 7 sprigs of coriander leaves rinsed well, pat dried on a cloth and finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 8 to 10 bread slices
- Peel the boiled potatoes, and grate them so that the mix is even. Grind ginger garlic and green chillies to a fine paste, and add it to the grated boiled potatoes. Add salt, grated cheese, salt, finely chopped coriander leaves and mix well. Divide the mix into equal oval portions, each portion should be such that it fits into half of the sliced bread.
- Trim the edges of the sliced bread. Take one bread slice, brush a little water on the bread slice till it is moist, then gently press it between your palms to ensure excess water is squeezed out. The slice should be intact and not tear. Place a portion of the potato mix on half portion of the bread and gently fold the other side of the slice onto it. All the edges should be sealed well. You could brush a little water around the edges if required to make it moist so that the edges can be sealed. Similarly repeat the same with the rest of the slices. Cover with a damp cloth so that the rolls do not dry out.
- Heat oil in a wok/ kadai. Once hot reduce heat to medium and slide the rolls into it and deep fry the bread rolls by turning them over till golden brown and crisp on both sides evenly. Remove with a slotted spatula and drain on absorbent paper. Tastes best when served hot.
- Serve hot with tomato sauce or chutney of your choice.
- The mix should be totally free of moisture. In case you feel the mix is moist, add some bread crumbs.
- Instead of moistening the bread slice you can take a bowl of water and just dip the slice in water and remove it immediately and then squeeze out excess water but here you have to be careful as the bread may tear if it absorbs more water. Hence I prefer moistening the bread instead of dipping it in water.
- I have used mozzarella cheese, hence it’s melted and gelled with the potato mix.
- Cheese is salty hence add salt taking the same into consideration.
- Salt gives out moisture hence add salt just before you start preparing the rolls.
- Use oils with high smoke point for deep frying. Example : Refined groundnut oil.
- It’s always best to add a little bread crumbs to the mix,so that it binds the mix and absorbs moisture if any and the mix does’nt split when fried.