Upma is one common healthy breakfast recipe that is delicious too at the same time. Adding veggies increases its nutritive value and yes tastes great too. Posting a resto style combination mixed vegetable upma with chutney as an accompaniment.
- 1/2 cup semolina/ upma rava
- 1 tbsp ghee to roast the rava
- 1 cup hot water or as required
- 1 medium sized onion or 2 tbsp finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh green peas
- 2 tbsp carrots chopped into small cubes
- Salt to taste
- Finely chopped coriander leaves to garnish
- 2 tbsp freshly grated coconut to garnish(optional)
- Nylon sev to garnish(optional)
For the tempering
- 1 to 1 1/4th tbsp oil
- 1/8 tsp asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 3 to 4 green chilles finely chopped (adjust to taste)
- 6 curry leaves
- 1 dry red chilly broken into pieces
- Roast the rawa in 1 tbsp ghee on low flame till you get its aroma taking care not to burn it. Set aside.
- Heat oil/ ghee in a nonstick/ ceramic pan, add mustard seeds. When they splutter add asafoetida, green chillies, curry leaves, dry red chilli and mix well. Add onions and saute till transluscent, then add green peas, carrots and saute.Add the roasted rava and saute well. Add hot water, salt and stir well. The rava will fluff up.
- Cover with a steam release lid and cook on low flame till done. Open the lid and stir once or twice to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Remove from flame.
- Serve hot garnished with freshly grated coconut and coriander leaves or nylon sev and coconut chutney and a lemon wedge if you want a tang to the upma.
- I have used Sunday special upma rawa that is available at the grocers.
- The upma comes out perfect if the rawa is roasted properly if not it’ll be sticky.
- 1 cup grated coconut
- A small piece of tamarind
- 1/4 th” piece of ginger
- 2 to 3 green chillies(adjust to taste)
- 4 sprigs of coriander leaves
- 1/8 tsp of asafoetida
- Salt to taste
- Grind coconut, asafoetida, green chillies, ginger, tamarind,salt, coriander leaves along with little water. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Serve this chutney with upma, appe, dosas, set dosas, pancakes etc.