In summers we tend to relish more onto simple salads. Kanda Tomato Koshimbir is one healthy maharashtrian salad recipe which is usually served as an accompaniment with dal rice and rotis and yes it tastes great all by itself too. We should consume more of the seasonal vegetables, white onions being one of them. Hence used white onions in this salad
• 1/2 cup white onions skin peeled, rinsed again and finely chopped
• 1/2 cup tomatoes chopped fine (exclude the seedy portion
- 1 to 1 1/2 tbsp coarsely ground roasted peanuts
• 2 green chillies chopped
• Sugar to taste
• Salt to taste
• 2 sprigs of chopped coriander leaves to garnish
• Place the chopped onion, tomatoes in a mixing bowl. Add chopped green chillies,salt and sugar.
• Add peanut powder. Mix well. Garnish with coriander leaves.
• Serve immediately with rotis or even dal rice.
Alternatively you could temper it with 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, 1/8th tsp asafoetida in oil but frankly speaking this salad tastes great without the tempering too.
Prepare the salad just before serving so that its freshness and flavours are retained. Mixing in the peanut powder just before serving retains the crunchiness of the salad. Its peanut powder that gives the flavour to the salad, hence do not skip this.
• Do not include the seedy portion of the tomato as it contains a lot of liquid and it can mess the salad texture. Reserve the same to be added to dals or soups.
• You can add a squeeze of lime only if the tomatoes are less tangy.