Mushroom Rice is an easy, delectable recipe that tastes great with raita or any spicy gravy as an accompaniment. Posting the same below with tomato onion salad and Malwani mushroom masala the recipe of which I have posted earlier.
- 1/2 cup extra long grained basmati rice OR 3/4th cup basmati rice
- 6 mushrooms
- 6 sprigs coriander leaves
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 2 green chillies (adjust to spice required)
- 1/4th” piece of ginger
- 1 onion sliced lengthwise thinly
- 2 1/2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp caraway seeds or cumin seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves
- 2 strands of mace
- 1 black cardamom
- 4 black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp lime juice + 2 tsp oil to be used while cooking the rice
- Wash rice at least three times to let go off, excess starch, drain the water and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Rinse the mushrooms well, pat dry them with a soft cotton cloth and cut them into thin slices vertically and keep aside.
- Grind ginger, garlic, chillies and coriander leaves to a smooth paste and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a deep non stick/ceramic pan. Add caraway /cumin seeds,When they crackle add bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, black pepper, mace and black cardamom, saute well, add onions and saute till golden brown.
- Add ginger garlic green chilly coriander leaves paste and saute till its raw flavour is diminished. Add salt as required, saute then add the sliced mushrooms and saute gently till the mix coats the mushrooms, then add cooked rice, saute gently till the rice is well coated with the mix.
- Serve hot with raita or any spicy gravy of your choice.
Cooking the rice by open pot method :
- Wash 1/2 cup rice 3 to 4 times to let go off excess starch and till water runs clear, drain the water.Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Add approximately five times the quantity of water in a heavy bottomed pan and boil it. Add the rice, lime juice and 2 tsps of oil.
- Let it boil and once the rice is almosr cooked drain off excess water,transfer the rice to a flat plate and fluff up the rice with a fork. The rice should be tender but not mushy. The rice gets totally cooked under its own steam.
- Wash basmati rice, drain the water and set aside for about 30min. This reduces cooking time.
- Adding 1 tsp lemon while cooking the rice gives separate grains of rice as well as a brighter look to the rice and a firm texture to the rice.
- I have used extra long grained rice. 1/2 cup extra long grained rice gives approximately 2 1/4th cups rice after cooking depending on the size and quality of the grain.
- Adding oil while cooking the rice prevents the rice from spilling over, adds flavour to the rice and also helps in giving separate grains of rice.
- Browning the onions gives a nice flavour and aroma to the rice.
- When buying mushrooms, always choose firm ones without any moisture outside.
- Mushrooms should not be soaked in water as they are porous and absorb water and they lose their flavour when they absorb a lot of water. Hence it is usually recommended to wipe clean mushrooms. BUT I rinse them thoroughly one at a time under tap water and do not soak them in water. After rinsing, pat dry immediately with a soft cloth or paper towel.