Its the season of fresh tender cashews which is most loved by all. This is one of my favourite recipes.I’m posting an easy maharashtrian/ konkan recipe that’s spicy with a mild tanginess to it.This recipe tastes delicious with fresh tender cashews only.
- 100 gms fresh tender cashews skin peeled,washed and kept aside dipped in water
- 1/2 medium onion chopped fine
- 1 potato peeled,cut into small cubes and dipped in water
- 3 cloves of garlic +1/8th piece of ginger + 1/2 green chilly + 2 sprigs of coriander leaves ground together to a smooth paste
- A piece of tamarind
- 1/8 tsp turmeric + a pinch of turmeric
- 1 to 1 1/2 kashmiri red chilli powder (adjust to taste)
- 1 1/2 tbsp oil + 1/2 tsp oil to roast the spices and fresh coconut
- 4 tbsp freshly scraped coconut
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/4th tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4th tsp aniseed/ badishep/ saunf
- 2 cloves
- 4 black pepper
- 1/4th”piece of cinnamon
- 1/4th black cardamom/ badi elaichi(approximately 8 seeds of the black cardamom)
- 4 bedgi chillies
- A piece of tamarind
- Salt to taste
- Finely chopped coriander leaves to garnish
- Dry roast the red chillies a bit and keep aside. In 1 tsp oil roast the spices ie; coriander seeds, cumin seeds, aniseed, clove, black pepper, cinnamon on low flame till fragrant.Once done transfer to a plate and roast fresh coconut in the same pan on low hear till brown taking care not to burn it.Switch off the flame and let it cool. Grind roasted spices, coconut, 1/8 tsp turneric powder, dry red chillies and tamarind to a smooth paste adding little water.
- In a nonstick/ceramic pan, heat oil,add finely chopped onion, saute till transluscent/ golden on low flame, then add ginger, garlic, green chilli, coriander leaves paste, saute till its raw flavour diminishes and you get its aroma,then add a pinch of turmeric powder,1 tsp kashmiri chilli powder, mix well.
- Immediately add cubed potatoes and tender cashews, saute well till the spices coat them. Add hot water just enough to cook the cashews and potatoes. Cover and cook with a steam release lid till 3/4th done.
- Then add the ground masala paste,water to get the desired consistency, salt and stir well. Check the taste, now add more chilli powder if you want more spice, mix well. Cook till done. The cashews should be crunchy and soft and NOT mushy. Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with rice, solkadi, onion tomato salad and a pickle of your choice or with bhakris or sorghum flour vade recipe of which has been posted earlier.
- Red chilli powder, dry red chillies, green chilly and black pepper all add to the spice of the dish, adjust quantity of red chilli powder accordingly. First add 3/4th tsp then add more later after the ground masala is added depending on how spicy you want it to be. The proportion mentioned above is not very spicy.
Peeling fresh tender cashews :
- Soak fresh tender cashews in hot water and set aside for about an hour or two so it’ll be easier to peel the skin. Apply oil on your palms and peel the skin,halve them and rinse the cashews and they are ready to be used. DO NOT eat them raw as it can itch your throat.