Its the season of fresh tender cashews which is most loved by all. This is one of my favourite recipes.I’m posting an easy maharashtrian/ konkan recipe that’s spicy with a mild tanginess to it.This recipe tastes delicious with fresh tender cashews only.
- 100 gms approximately 25 fresh tender cashews skin peeled,washed and kept aside dipped in water
- 1 tbsp onion chopped fine
- 1 potato peeled,cut into small cubes and dipped in water
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/8th” piece of ginger
- 1/2 green chilly
- 2 to 3 sprigs of coriander leaves
- A piece of tamarind
- 1/8 tsp turmeric + a pinch of turmeric
- 3 tsp bedgi red chilli powder (adjust to individual taste)
- 1 1/2 tbsp oil + 2 tsp oil to roast the spices, onion and dry coconut
- 2 tbsp dry coconut
- 2 tbsp thinly sliced onion
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp caraway seeds
- 1/2 tsp aniseed/ badishep/ saunf
- 2 cloves
- 4 black pepper
- 1/4th”piece of cinnamon
- 1/2 black cardamom/ badi elaichi
- 1 petal of star anise
- 2 blades of mace
- 4 dry bedgi red chillies
- A small piece of tamarind
- Salt to taste
- Finely chopped coriander leaves to garnish
- Dry roast the red chillies a bit and keep aside. In 1 tsp oil roast the spices ie; coriander seeds, caraway seeds, aniseed, clove, star anise, black cardamom, mace, black pepper, cinnamon on low flame till fragrant.Once done transfer to a plate and in the same pan add a tsp of oil, roast thinly sliced onion till brown taking care not to burn it.
- Transfer to a plate then roast dry coconut in the same pan on low heat till golden brown taking care not to burn it. Switch off the flame and let it cool. Grind roasted spices, coconut, onion, 1/8 tsp turmeric powder, dry red chillies, and tamarind to a smooth paste adding little water.
- Grind ginger, garlic,green chilly, coriander leaves to a smooth paste. Drain the water from the cashews and potatoes and apply the paste along with a pinch of turmeric to the cashews and potatoes. Set aside for about 10 minutes.
- In a deep pan, heat oil, add finely chopped onion, saute till transluscent/ golden on low flame, then add the cashew potato mix to which the ginger garlic green chilly coriander leaves paste has been applied. Gently saute well as ginger and garlic are in the raw form, saute till its raw flavour diminishes taking care not to break the cashews. Add 1 tsp bedgi chilli powder and saute well.
- Then add hot water say about a cup of water just enough to cook the cubed potatoes and tender cashews. Stir well and cook till 3/4th done. Then add the ground masala paste and stir well. Add about 1/4th + 1/8th cup water to the mixer jar so that whatever masala is left in the mixer jar is used up, add this to the masala and mix well. Add 1 tsp bedgi chilli powder and stir well. Cook till done. Add more water only if required to get the desired consistency of the gravy.
- Check the taste, now add more chilli powder if you want more spice, mix well and bring to a boil. I added another tsp of bedgi chilli powder as we like it spicy. Also bedgi chilli powder is not very spicy. The cashews should be crunchy and soft and NOT mushy. Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with rice, solkadi, onion tomato salad and a pickle of your choice or with bhakris or sorghum flour vade recipe of which has been posted earlier.
- Red chilli powder, dry red chillies, green chilly and black pepper all add to the spice of the dish, adjust quantity of red chilli powder accordingly. First add 1 tsp then add more later after the ground masala is added depending on how spicy you want it to be. The proportion mentioned above is spicy and to be frank this gravy tastes best if spicy.
Peeling fresh tender cashews :
- Soak fresh tender cashews in hot water and set aside for about an hour or two so it’ll be easier to peel the skin. Apply oil on your palms and peel the skin,halve them and rinse the cashews and they are ready to be used. DO NOT eat them raw as it can itch your throat.