Jeera Aloo is a simple and easy to prepare no onion no garlic recipe that’s spicy, tangy and goes well as a side dish with pooris/rotis/ missi roti/ chapatis or even as an accompaniment with dal rice.
- 3 cups (approximately 4 medium sized potatoes)cubed boiled potatoes
- 2 to 21/2tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/8 tsp asafoetida
- 8 curry leaves
- 4 green chillies( adjust to spice required keeping in mind kashmiri chilli powder is also added)
- 1/4th” piece of ginger
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 to 3/4th tsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp lime juice
- Finely chopped coriander leaves to garnish
- Grind ginger and green chillies to a smooth paste and keep aside.Heat 2 tbsp oil in a nonstick / ceramic pan, add cumin seeds, when they crackle add asafoetida, curry leaves, ginger green chilly paste, saute well, add turmeric powder, kashmiri red chilli powder, saute, add salt, mix well, immediately add boiled potatoes, mix well so that the spices coat the potatoes well. Add 1/2 tbsp oil only if you feel the sabzi looks dry.
- Sprinkle lime juice, saute well. Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves. Serve hot as a side dish with pooris/ rotis/ missi roti/ chapatis or along with dal rice. Tastes great anyways.
- This sabzi tastes best if it is a little oily, hence add extra oil at a later stage only if you feel the sabzi looks too dry.