Vangi Batata Rassa is a popular
Maharashtrian spicy side dish that is quick and easy to prepare. Posting a no onion no garlic recipe below.
- 5 tender purple white brinjals
- 1 potato
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/4 th tsp mustard seeds
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 3 tbsp grated dry coconut
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder + a pinch
- 2 1/2 to 3 tsp kashmiri chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp to be added initially ( adjust to spice required)
- A small piece of tamarind
- Salt to taste
Spices to be roasted in 1/2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/4th tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4th tsp caraway seeds
- 1 petal star anise
- 8 seeds of black cardamom
- 1/4th” piece of cinnamon
- 2 cloves
- 4 black pepper
- Finely chopped coriander leaves to garnish
- Rinse the brinjals well, cut off the stalks and cut the brinjals into cubes. Dip them in salt water to prevent them from discolouring and also to remove bitterness if any. Rinse the potato, peel the skin and cut into cubes the same size as that of the brinjals so that they get cooked at the same time. Dip them in water until the masala is prepared to prevent oxidation.
- Heat a seasoning pan, add dry coconut and roast it till brown taking care not to burn it. Transfer to a plate. To the same seasoning pan add 1/2 tsp oil, heat it then add the spices mentioned and roast them till you get the aroma of roasted spices. Cool it, then grind it along with the roasted spices, turmeric powder, kashmiri red chilli powder, tamarind to a fine paste adding little water and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a nonstick / ceramic pan, add mustard seeds, when they splutter add asafoetida, a pinch of turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp red chilli powder, add cubed eggplants, potato cubes and saute well till the spices coat them, then add hot water just enough to almost cook the potato and eggplants. Cover with a steam release lid and cook till 3/4th done. Add the ground masala paste, water to get the desired consistency, salt and cook till done.
- Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot with bhakris /chapatis or tastes great even with steaming hot rice and sol kadi as an accompaniment.
- Use small tender striped purple white brinjals as they get cooked within the same time as potatoes and are seedless too.