Carrot Split Moong Dal Salad is a healthy salad recipe with the added goodness of moong dal, and is served as an accompaniment with dal rice and rotis.It tastes great just by itself too. Always add any mode of fat to your salads / koshimbirs, be it in the form of tempering in ghee or oil OR in the form of curds OR roasted crushed peanuts OR freshly scraped coconut as the vitamins in raw vegetables are difficult to absorb in its raw form. Sharing a tip that I learnt from Mrs. Rekha Diwekar ( speaker on health related topics) : Carrots in its raw form are oil soluble and not water soluble, hence you should add some mode of fat to it so that its vitamin content is easily absorbed. No wonder our traditional koshimbirs rock / simple, easy to prepare and delectable.
- 1/2 cup OR approximately 2 carrots rinsed,skin peeled, rinsed again and grated
- 1 tbsp yellow moong dal / split moong dal
- 1 1/2 tsp ghee/ oil
- 2 green chillies slit lengthwise
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 to 4 curry leaves
- A pinch of asafoetida
- Sugar to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp freshly grated coconut
- Squeeze of half a lime OR as per tang required
- 2 sprigs of chopped coriander leaves to garnish
• Rinse the moong dal well till water runs clear and soak it in water for at least 2 hours. Drain the water and keep aside.
• Place grated carrots, soaked yellow moong dal, freshly grated coconut in a mixing bowl. Add salt and sugar.
• Heat ghee in a seasoning wok, pop in cumin seeds,when they crackle add asafoetida, slit green chilly,broken dry red chilly and curry leaves. Pour over the carrot mix.
• Sprinkle lime juice. Mix well. Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve with rotis or even dal rice.
• Yellow moong dal adds to the crunchiness of the salad and yes it is nutritious too. Moong dal is high in protein, this dal can be eaten uncooked and yes it tastes great too.