Carrot Tomato Salad is a healthy salad recipe which is usually served as an accompaniment with dal rice and rotis and yes it tastes great just by itself too. I love the carrots available in winters for its bright colour and juicy sweet flavour.
- 1/2 cup OR approximately 2 carrots rinsed,skin peeled, rinsed again and grated
- 1/4th cup tomatoes chopped fine (exclude the seedy portion)
- 1 1/2 tbsp coarsely ground roasted peanuts
- 1 tbsp ghee/ oil
- 2 green chillies chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Squeeze of half a lime OR as per tang required
- 3 to 4 curry leaves
- A pinch of asafoetida
- Sugar to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp freshly grated coconut
- 2 sprigs of chopped coriander leaves to garnish
- Place grated carrots, tomatoes, freshly grated coconut in a mixing bowl. Add salt and sugar.
- Heat ghee in a seasoning wok, pop in cumin seeds,when they crackle add asafoetida, chopped green chillies and curry leaves. Pour over the carrot mix.
- Sprinkle lime juice. Add peanut powder. Mix well. Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve with rotis or even dal rice.
- Mixing in the peanut powder just before serving retains the crunchiness of the salad.
- Do not include the seedy portion of the tomato as it contains a lot of liquid and it can mess the salad texture. Reserve the same to be added to dals or soups.