Sweet Poha is a very common, quick and easy, no fuss naivedyam recipe prepared with minimum ingredients, that is delicious too. There are many variations to this recipe. Freshly grated coconut, jaggery, cardamom powder, nutmeg powder release an awesome flavour to the pohe.
- 1 cup medium poha
- 1/4th cup jaggery
- 1/2cup freshly grated coconut( use only the white portion)
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of nutmeg powder
- 1/2 to 3/4th tsp cardamom powder
- 1/2 tsp ghee
- Rinse pohe in water and gently wash them so that the excess starch washes out and the pohe soften. Squeeze out the excess water gently from the pohe and set aside in a flat plate. All the pohe flakes should be firm,and fluffy.Do not soak pohe for long.Rinsing them well is enough to soften them.
- In a mixing bowl, mix fresh grated coconut, grated jaggery and ghee by hand. Crush the jaggery well, there should be no lumps. Mix well in such a way that jaggery liquifies so that the pohe get well coated with the jaggery coconut mix. Add a pinch of salt, mix well. Add the rinsed poha/ flattened rice, cardamom powder, nutmeg powder. Mix gently taking care not to break the poha flakes.
- Sweet Pohe should be prepared just before offering naivedyam and served immediately after offering the same as they tend to dry fast. These pohe taste best when moist.
- Please note the quality of poha varies region wise. Eg: The medium poha available in Belgavi needs to be rinsed for a longer time while the one available in Mumbai softens immediately. Hence rinse accordingly.