This is spicy and tangy recipe that can be cooked with basic ingredients easily available at home. The spicier the gravy, the tastier it will be. Minor variations in a recipe gives rise to another delicious recipe. Tomatoes, potatoes and onions are always available at home and this recipe a saviour when you want to dish up a spicy delicious gravy in minimum time. Kanda khobra miri cha vatan as it is.called in Marathi, that is a ground mix of coconut, onion and black pepper gives added flavour to this simple recipe.
- 2 medium sized Potatoes washed and peeled and cut into cubes and then kept in a bowl of water to prevent oxidation
- 2 tomatoes chopped lengthwise thinly
- 3/4 th onion thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 1/2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/8 tsp asafoetida
- A paste of 5 to 6 cloves of garlic, 1/4th” piece of ginger, 1 green chilly and 2 to 3 sprigs of coriander leaves
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 tsp kashmiri chilli powder (adjust to taste)
- 1 1/2 tbsp freshly scraped coconut, 4 black pepper,1/4th onion ground to a smooth paste adding little water
- Salt to taste
- Finely chopped coriander leaves to garnish
- Heat oil in a nonstick/ ceramic pan, add onions, saute till golden. Add ginger garlic green chilly coriander leaves paste.
- Saute well till you get the aroma, add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, add tomatoes, potatoes and saute well till the tomato softens and oil leaves the sides.
- Add enough hot water to cover the potatoes. Cover and cook on low flame till 3/4th done then add salt and the ground coconut mix, stir well and bring it to a boil. Cook till done Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with chapatis,rice and tomato onion raita.
- Left over rassa bhaji also tastes great and makes a tasty breakfast too.Top hot rassa bhaji with tomato onion raita and serve it with hot puris/ phulkas/ chapatis.