Paneer ghee roast is a very spicy, simple, quick, easy and delicious Manglorean recipe. This dish can be served as a starter or as a semi gravy dish to go with rotis, naan or even neer dosa.The recipe is very easy but I was successful in the seventh attempt to attain the taste to suit my family’s palate.Paneer ghee roast is all about ghee and spice. Its very spicy but you can adjust spice level to your choice, though I’d say it tastes great when spicy. There are many variations to this recipe and each one has its own unique blend of flavours. Some like it with the flavour of coriander seeds to be prominent while some like the flavour of chillies.I like the flavour of chillies to be prominent.
- 2 1/2 tbsp ghee( adjust to individual choice)
- 200 gms paneer cut into cubes of 1/2″ to 3/4th” thickness
- 8 to 10 curry leaves
- Salt to taste
For the marination
- 1 1/2 tbsp thick/hung curds
- 5 cloves of garlic and 1/4th” ginger ground to a smooth paste
- 2 tsp ghee roast masala paste
- Salt to taste
Ghee Roast Masala Paste
- 5 dry bedgi chillies
- 3 dry kashmiri chillies
- 2 dry red chillies of spicy variety
- 1/4th tsp coriander seeds
- 1/4th tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4th tsp black pepper
- 2 fenugreek/ methi seeds
- 1/4th” piece of cinnamon
- 1 tsp tamarind ( adjust to tang required and also depending on the tartness of the curds)
- Blend the curds well, add ginger garlic paste, ghee roast masala paste, salt and mix well. Coat the paneer cubes with this marination and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Break the dry red chillies and roast them on low flame in 1/2 tsp oil. Just roast a bit, taking care not to burn them. Transfer to a plate. In the same pan roast coriander seeds,cumin seeds, black pepper, fenugreek seeds. cinnamon till fragrant taking care not to burn it. Grind all the roasted ingredients, tamarind to a smooth paste adding little water.
- Heat ghee in a nonstick/ ceramic pan. Add curry leaves, saute well. Add the ground masala paste, add a little water to the grinder jar to clean up any left over masala paste( add this water only if you want semi dry gravy not if you want to serve as a starter)and add this to the pan too, add salt taking note that salt has been added to the marinated paneer cubes and let it cook for about 4 to 5 minutes on low flame. Add the marinated paneer cubes and saute gently and let it cook till ghee leaves the sides and the marinated paneer blends well with the masala paste, it takes approximately 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with rotis, naan, fulkas or neer dosa.
- Adjust spice levels according to your taste buds, but this dish tastes best if spicy.
- Ghee adds the basic flavour to this dish.DO NOT substitute ghee with oil.
- Blend the curds well to an even texture, if not the marinated paneer will not blend well with the masala paste and specs of curds will be visible which will not appeal to the eye.