A no fuss quick, simple and easy stir fry recipe that can be served as a side dish with polis or even dal rice.
- 1/4 th kg tender bhendi / okra / bhindi / lady's finger
- 1 1/2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/8 tsp asafoetida
- 1/4th tsp turmeric powder
- 4 to 5 green chillies(adjust to spice required)
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 kokum pieces
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp freshly grated coconut (optional)
- Rinse the okra well. Pat dry totally with a cotton cloth. There should be no moisture left. Cut off the edges and cut into 3/4 th cm roundels with a dry steel knife.
- Heat oil in a nonstick/ ceramic pan, add mustard seeds, when they splutter add asafoetida,green chillies,onions saute well till transluscent, then add turmeric powder, saute well,add sliced okra and saute, add kokum and stir fry over low heat till done. Okra shrinks as it cooks, hence add salt after it is almost cooked.
- Stir fry well till done. Garnish with freshly grated coconut. Serve hot as a side dish with rotis or dal rice.
- DO NOT COVER the pan as steam releases moisture and the okra will become slimy and mushy when it comes in contact with water.
- If you do not have kokum you can add 1 to 1 1/2 tsp lime juice.
- Salt releases moisture, also okra tends to shrink when cooked, hence add salt when okra is almost cooked.