Pohe is a traditional popular dish that is very versatile and can be prepared at short notice.A very versatile, quick, flavourful, power packed breakfast/snack recipe I’m posting my version.Fresh peanuts are in season, I’m posting Pohe with fresh boiled peanuts which gives added flavour to the pohe.
- 11/2 cup brown pohe/red flattened rice
- 2 medium sized onions finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh boiled peanuts
- 2 1/2 to 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/8 tsp asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 5 green chillies finely chopped (adjust to spice required)
- A sprig of curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- Sugar to taste
- Lemon wedges to serve
- Heat oil in a nonstick/ ceramic pan, add mustard seeds,when they splutter add asafoetida, chopped green chillies, curry leaves,turmeric powder. Saute well, add onions and fresh boiled peanuts. Saute till the onions are soft.Stir fry till the onions turn transluscent.
- While the onion and peanuts are getting cooked, rinse pohe in water and gently wash them so that the excess starch washes out and the pohe soften.Squeeze out the excess water gently from the pohe and set aside in a flat plate. All the pohe flakes should be firm,and fluffy.
- Add the pohe to the cooked onion, peanuts.Add salt, sugar and saute gently so that the mixture coats the pohe.
- Serve steaming hot pohe garnished with coriander leaves. If you like it tangy add a squeeze of lime juice.
Variations to the recipe :
- In place of peanuts you can add potatoes or even green peas.Each variation tastes great.
- You can sprinkle nylon shev. It gives a nice crunch to the pohe.
- Do not soak pohe for long.Rinsing them well is enough to soften them though brown pohe need to be rinsed a little longer than white pohe.