Ridge gourd is very beneficial for health and so is its skin. Do not discard the skin of ridge gourd. Delicious chutney is prepared using it that goes well with dosas, appe, dal rice etc.
- 6 tbsp grated coconut
- 1/4th cup peel(skin) of ridge gourd)
- 2 tsp oil
- 2 tsps grated raw mango (as per tang required and depending on the sourness of mango) OR a piece of tamarind
- 3 green chillies(adjust to taste)
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 sprigs of coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- Rinse the ridge gourd and peel its skin.Rinse the skin again and cut it roughly so that it is easier to roast it.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the ridge gourd peels and saute well, add green chillies, cumin seeds and mix well.Switch off the flame. Let the mix cool.
- Grind the above ingredients along with coconut, raw mango, salt, coriander leaves adding little water.
- This chutney goes very well with dal rice, pancakes and dosas, appe, ambolis too.
- Usually tamarind is used to prepare this chutney. Raw mango is loaded with vitamin C and it gives a very nice tang to the chutney. Also these days raw mangoes are available maximum time of the year. So I use raw mango instead of tamarind.