Moong beans are a type of legume and one of the major protein food sources.Their vitamin content increases as they sprout. They have a lot of antioxidants, fiber and are very easy to digest. Do try and include them in every way possible. Posting a simple traditional Maharashtian usal recipe below.
- 1 cups sprouted whole green gram
- 1 potato skin peeled, cut into small cubes and dipped in water
- 1 onion very finely chopped
- 1 tomato very finely chopped
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/8 tsp asafoetida
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- 4 to 5 curry leaves
- 2 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder(adjust to individual taste)
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4th tsp cumin powder
- 1/8th tsp freshly crushed coarse black pepper
- 1/8th tsp garam masala (for flavour)
- Finely chopped coriander leaves to garnish plus a sprig of chopped coriander leaves to be added after sauteing the onions.
- Heat oil in a nonstick/ ceramic pan,add mustard seeds, when they splutter add asafoetida, turmeric powder, curry leaves,onions, coriander leaves and saute till onions are transluscent then add 1 tsp red chilli powder, saute well ,then add tomatoes,saute well till soft, add rest of the chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, saute then add the sprouted green gram and potato and mix well, then add hot water just enough to cook the sprouts and potato.
- Cover with a steam release lid and when the sprouts are 3/4th cooked add salt and crushed black pepper, garam masala and cook till done.Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot as a side dish with chapatis or with dal rice.
- The usal should be moist but not watery.
- Black pepper is also spicy so adjust chilli powder to individual taste.
Procedure to soak whole green gram beans:
- Rinse and soak whole green gram for about 8 hours in water. Drain the water, wash the gram again and transfer them into a cotton/ muslin cloth. Hold all the edges together, twist them and tie a knot.
- Keep them in a warm place for another 12 hours. Once sprouted loosen the knot, transfer to a container. 1/2 cup of green gram gives approximately 1 cup of sprouted gram
- Rinse the green gram again before use.
- You can add Malvani masala instead of coriander cumin powder, black pepper and garam masala powder. Reduce quantity of red chilli powder too as Malvani masala contains red chilli powder.Tastes great too.