This is a traditional recipe from Konkan / Goan cuisine. The flavours in this curry are sweet sour and spicy in equal proportions that tastes great with steaming hot rice and does’nt need any other accompaniment. I had jotted down this recipe from a cookery show and this recipe was shared by Marathi actress Lalan Sarang Madam. I thank her for sharing this wonderful tongue tickling recipe.
RECIPE CREDIT : Lalan Sarang Madam
- 5 tbsp freshly grated coconut
- 1 Raw mango skin peeled and cut into thick slices lengthwise
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp udid dal / split black gram
- 1 tsp raw rice rinsed and pat dried with a cloth
- 2 black pepper
- 8 bedgi chillies or Kashmiri chillies(adjust to spice required)
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp jaggery or more (depending on the sourness of the mango)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp oil to saute the ingredients to be ground and 2 tsp oil for tempering
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 2 green chillies slit lengthwise
- A sprig curry leaves
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a seasoning pan and first roast udid dal, fenugreek seeds, rice, black pepper and finally coriander seeds, red chillies. DO NOT brown it, just roast it till you get its aroma. Grind it along with grated coconut and turmeric. Do not make the masala too smooth. Keep aside.
- In a deep pan heat oil,add mustard seeds, when they splutter add asafoetida, green chillies and curry leaves. Then add raw mango pieces, saute wel till the fresh spices coat the mango pieces and then add the ground masala, jaggery and salt and water to get an even consistency. It should not be watery.
- Cook on low flame till the mango pieces become just soft. The curry should be sweet sour and spicy in equal proportions, so adjust flavours accordingly depending on the sourness of the mango.
- Serve hot with steaming hot rice.
- If not serving immediately remove the mango slices and keep aside and add them while reheating, because the more they are kept in the curry the more tangy the curry will taste.
- In the basic recipe coconut oil has been used. I used refined oil. Also a piece of turmeric is used while I have used turmeric powder.