Nutritious Pancake / Poushtik Dhirdi
Dhirdi is a quick and easy traditional Maharashtrian breakfast/snack recipe made out of mixed variety of flours. It can be made in a jiffy and most important it is healthy too.
- 3 tbsp Rice flour
- 3 tbsp Gram flour ( besan)
- 3 tbsp Sorghum flour(Jowar)
- 3 tbsp Ragi flour (Nachni)
- 2 green chillies chopped fine(as per spice required)
- 1 onion chopped fine
- 3/4th” piece of ginger chopped fine
- 1/8th tsp asafoetida
- 6 sprigs of coriander leaves finely chopped
- Water as required to make a batter of dropping consistency
- Salt to taste
- Oil to shallow fry the pancakes
- In a mixing bowl combine the flours,salt, green chillies, asafoetida,ginger,coriander leaves and water to make a batter of dropping consistency (dosa batter consistency). There should be no lumps.Set aside for half an hour(optional), you can make it immediately too.
- Heat a cast iron tawa/skillet, grease it with a little oil,add a ladle of the batter and spread it on the pan.Don’t make it too thin or thick.Now leave some oil around the edges and cover it with a lid,till the pancake is golden brown on the underside.
- Then flip over the other side and let it cook the same way on the other side as well without cover. Leave some oil from the sides again.
- Serve it hot with butter and raw mango chutney or chutney of your choice. Tastes best when cooked on a cast iron tawa.
- Dhirdi should always be served hot.
- Dhirdi can also be cooked on a nonstick/ ceramic pan but it does’nt come out as crisp as the one on an iron tawa. Also texture of dhirdi is perfect when cooked on an iron tawa.
- Mix the batter well each time you prepare the pancake as the flour sinks to the bottom.
- Let the pancakes be smaller in size so that they come out crisp.
- You can vary the recipe with variety of flours available, but do add rice flour and besan as they help in binding the mix and also give crisp dhirdi.
Raw Mango chutney ( Kairichi Chutney)
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 1/4 cup raw mango skin peeled and grated (if the mango is very sour use less)
- 2 to 3 green chillies(adjust to taste)
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- Salt to taste
- 2 sprigs of coriander leaves
- A pinch of sugar
- Grind the above ingredients along with very little water coarsely. Goes very well with dal rice,dhirdi and dosas too.