Cabbage Capsicum Stirfry / Kobi Simla mirchi chi Bhaji
Quick and easy to prepare this dry sabzi tastes best when almost cooked and not totally cooked to retain its flavour and crunchiness. This stirfry vegetable makes a flavourful side dish with rotis or even dal rice.
- 1 1/4th cup shredded cabbage
- 1 medium capsicum
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder(optional)
- 4 curry leaves
- 1 dry red chilli pieces seeds removed
- 3 green chillies( or as per spice required)
- Finely chopped coriander leaves to garnish
- Rinse the cabbage well and shred it as thinly as possible, soak it in water and rinse again to remove impurities if any. Rinse the capsicum and slice it into thin long strips.
- In a nonstick / ceramic pan heat oil, add mustard seeds, when they splutter add asafoetida,dry red chilli, green chillies, saute well, add turmeric powder, immediately add cabbage and capsicum and stir fry well. Once it shrinks add salt and saute well.
- Cover with a steam release lid and cook it for about 4 minutes OR till almost done, stirring frequently so that the crispiness is retained.
- Transfer immediately to a serving bowl so that the cooking process is stopped and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot as a side dish with rotis/ polis/ chapatis or even dal rice.
- Adding turmeric powder is optional. Do not add much as it will spoil the flavour of the sabzi.
- DO NOT cook the cabbage and capsicum till it becomes soft, it will not taste good.
- This sabzi tastes best if crunchy, so do not cook it totally.
- Always use fresh cabbage to prepare the sabzi. The capsicum should be shiny and firm.
- Cabbage tends to shrink as it gets cooked so add salt after stir frying the cabbage.