An all time favourite Maharashtrian recipe using Malwani masala. I have used store bought ready to use Malwani masala.
- 2 tbsp oil + 2 tsp oil
- 1/4th cup black eyed beans(chawli) rinsed and soaked in water for 8 hours. Rinse again,before pressure cooking
- 1 small onion thinly sliced lengthwise
- 3 tbsp freshly grated coconut
- 1 potato peeled and chopped into small cubes so that they cook faster
- 1 small onion very finely chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, 1/4th” piece of ginger, 2 sprigs of coriander leaves ground to a paste
- 1/4th tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder to be added in stages (adjust to individual taste)
- Tamarind to taste
- 2 to 2 1/2 tsp malwani masala powder (adjust as per individual taste) I used ready to use Malwani Masala
- Finely chopped coriander leaves to garnish
- 4 cloves of crushed garlic( for tempering which is optional)
- Pressure cook the chawli till pressure is released twice or as required( cooking time varies depending on size and quality)The beans must be soft but not mushy.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a nonstick /ceramic pan,add onions cut lengthwise and saute till golden brown( do not burn). Remove from pan, add grated coconut and saute till brown(do not burn). Grind the browned onion, coconut, tamarind with a pinch of turmeric and 1/2 tsp red chilly powder to a smooth paste adding little water. This will give a nice colour to the coconut onion paste.Keep aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a nonstick pan, add finely chopped onions, saute well till soft and transluscent, then add ginger garlic coriander leaves paste and saute well till you get its aroma.
- Add turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp red chilli powder,and mix well, add chopped potato, mix well till the spices coat it,then add hot water(just enough to cook the potato.
- When 3/4th cooked add chawli, mix well add malwani masala bring the gravy to a boil then add the ground paste and hot water to get the desired consistency, add salt and cover and cook till done. Add freshly chopped coriander leaves.
- Now only if you love the flavour of fried garlic, heat 1 tbsp oil in a seasoning pan, add crushed garlic till it gives the fried aroma,saute and pour it over the cooked gravy and cover it for 2 minutes so that the flavour of fried garlic sinks into the gravy. Mix well and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with bread / amboli/ bhakri / poli and tomato onion salad and a lemon wedge or with steaming hot rice, tomato onion salad and solkadi.
- Adding hot water gives the oily look to the gravy.
- Use malwani masala as per individual spice required.
- 1/4th cup of black eyed beans gives approximately 1/2 cup of beans after soaking in water.