Haath Phodnicha Bhath is a simple delicious maharashtrian breakfast/ brunch recipe prepared with left over rice and it gets its name for the simple reason that the rice and tempering is mixed using hands. Here a tempering of garlic is used which gives added flavour to the rice.
- 2 cups leftover rice, heated, separated with a fork and transferred to a flat plate
- 3 to 4 green chillies finely chopped (adjust to taste)
- A sprig of curry leaves
- 10 to 12 cloves of garlic( as per choice)crushed coarsely in a mortar and pestle
- 4 tbsp oil( as per choice)
- 3/4th tsp mustard seeds
- 1/8 tsp asafoetida
- 1/4th tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 Lime juice to sprinkle(optional)
- Coriander leaves finely chopped to garnish
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a nonstick/ ceramic pan / wok. Add crushed garlic, saute till golden and crisp and it gives an aroma.Transfer to a plate and keep aside. Heat the same pan add rest of the oil,mustard seeds, when they splutter add asafoetida and curry leaves. Add green chillies, saute well and add turmeric powder. Switch off the flame.Add the crisp garlic and salt and mix the tempering well.
- Pour the tempering over the leftover rice. Mix the tempering and the already heated rice gently using your hand so that the tempering coats the rice. If you like the flavour of lime,sprinkle lime juice over the rice. Mix well and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve with a lemon wedge/salad/ koshimbir or with pickle of your choice. You can heat the rice again if you want. Tastes great both ways, at room temperature or even if served hot.
- Tastes best when prepared with leftover rice as its dry and gives separate grains of rice.