This is a quick and spicy Indo Chinese Starter recipe that tastes great as is or with any fried rice as an accompaniment. Here you can adjust flavourings and thickness of the sauce to individual choice and it tastes great any which way you adjust the flavourings.
- 10 fresh tender baby corn
- 1 onion cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup assorted bell peppers
- Finely chopped spring onion greens to garnish
- Oil for deep frying baby corn
For the batter
- 2 tbsp cornflour (approximately) + 1 tbsp cornflour to dust the baby corn
- 1 tbsp refined flour/ maida (approximately)
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp crushed black pepper powder
- Salt to taste
For the sauce:
- 1 1/2 tbsp oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp very finely chopped garlic (Use garlic as per your choice. I like the flavour so added more)
- 1 tbsp very finely chopped ginger
- 3 to 4 slit green chillies(adjust to individual taste)
- 1/4th to 1/2 tsp freshly crushed black pepper
- 2 to 2 1/2 tsp dark soy sauce( adjust to taste)
- 2 tsp cornflour mixed in a little water to form a slurry
- 1/2 cup water (approximately or as per consistency required. The sauce should be just enough to coat the vegetables as this is a semi dry version, so adjust accordingly)
- Salt to taste
- Rinse the tender baby corn well and cut into two horizontally if they are long.Blanch the baby corn for about 3 minutes, drain excess water and dip them in cold water, drain the water, pat dry with a cotton cloth and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl add cornflour, refined flour, black pepper, ginger garlic paste and salt and mix well. Add water to make a batter if medium consistency(neither thick nor thin).
- Dust the baby corn with cornflour till its evenly coated to ensure the batter sticks to the baby corn.
- Heat oil in a wok for frying. Once hot, dip the baby corn into the batter, and add to hot oil one by one and deep fry the baby corn on medium flame till golden and crisp. Remove and keep on absorbent paper.
- Transfer the oil to another container and in the same wok, heat 1 tbsp oil and over high flame, add ginger, garlic, green chillies and stir-fry. Add cubed onion and toss well. Add assorted bell peppers, stir fry.Add salt, black pepper, dark soy sauce, water, stir well, then add cornflour slurry a little at a time to get the consistency of your choice and let it simmer till it thickens. Stir continuously.Add the crispy fried baby corn to the gravy and stir well till the sauce coats the baby corn and the flavour of the sauce sinks into it.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Garnish with spring onion greens. Serve piping hot as a starter or with fried rice or steaming hot rice. Tastes best when served hot and immediately after preparing it.
- The colour and flavour of soy sauce varies depending on the brand also so adjust accordingly. I have used Lee Kum Kee brand of Dark Soy Sauce.
- Soy sauce has its own salt content so take it into consideration while adding salt.
- Add cornflour slurry slowly to get the sauce consistency of your choice.
- As stir frying is done on high flame stir continuously.
THANK YOU FOR VISITING MY BLOG.