This nutritious salad is prepared with fresh tender methi leaves and should be prepared just before serving to retain its crunchiness and taste.
- 1 1/2 cup tender methi leaves
- 1 big onion chopped fine
- 1 1/2 tbsp coarsely ground roasted peanut powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- Sugar to taste(optional)
- 1/2 lime
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/8 tsp asafoetida
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- Rinse the methi leaves well.Pat dry on a clean cotton cloth. Cut them finely. Transfer the leaves to a mixing bowl, add peanut powder, chopped onions, red chilli powder, salt, sugar and squeeze of half a lime and mix well.
- In a seasoning pan heat oil add mustard seeds, when they splutter add asafoetida and switch off the flame. Add turmeric powder, mix well and pour the seasoning over the salad. Mix well and serve immediately as a salad with rotis or dal rice.
- Tastes best when prepared just before serving.
- As it is the season of white onions I have used white onions as it has a lot of health benefits.
- The onions and salt give out moisture, hence this salad should be prepared just before serving to enjoy its flavour and crunchiness.
- Methi leaves are bitter in taste. Use tender leaves as they are less bitter.