A simple fried rice recipe to go wirh veg manchurian gravy. Actually had a little cabbage left after preparing manchurian, so ended up with cabbage fried rice and it actually tasted yum.
- 2 tbsp Refined Groundnut oil +2 tsp oil while cooking the rice
- 3/4th cup basmati or any long grained rice
- 2 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 4 to 5 garlic cloves chopped fine
- 2 Spring onion whites chopped lengthwise and the greens chopped fine
- 1 tbsp Light soy sauce
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1/2 tsp white pepper powder
- 1/2 cup cabbage chopped thinly lengthwise
- Salt to taste
- Rinse rice 3 to 4 times to let go off excess starch and drain.Set aside for 30 minutes. Put the rice in a heavy bottomed pan. Add four times the quantity of water and 2 tsps of oil. Let it boil and once the rice is nearly cooked,drain off excess water,fluff up the rice with a fork and keep aside on a flat plate.
- Heat a wok over a high flame and add oil and swirl so that it coats the wok. I used a nonstick pan.
- Add finely chopped ginger, garlic, and chopped spring onion whites and cabbage to the wok and stir fry for a few seconds.Add white pepper powder and salt, stir well.Add cooked long grained rice and stir fry. Add light soy sauce, stir fry,sprinkle vinegar and toss well.
- Garnish with spring onion greens. Remove from heat and serve hot.
- The rice should be tender but not mushy.
- Adding oil while cooking the rice prevents the rice from boiling over and also from sticking to the bottom of the pan. It also adds flavour to the rice.
- Use refined groundnut oil. It makes a huge difference tastewise. Also Chinese cooking requires stir frying on high flame so use oils with high smoke point. Example: Refined groundnut oil.
- Light soy sauce is saltier so add salt taking it into consideration.