This delectable recipe may look long to read but is actually quick and easy to prepare with the flavour of khada masala. The credit of khada masala powder that I follow goes to my favourite chef, CHEF VISHNU MANOHAR. It’s because of addition of this masala the chole gets its perfect flavour.
- 1/2 cup kabuli chana(chick peas) : clean, wash and soak the kabuli chana in water overnite.Next day rinse again,drain the water and add 11/2 cups water and a pinch of salt and pressure cook for 4 to 5 whistles, depending on size and type of chole. The chole should become soft but not mushy.Keep aside to cool.Pressure cooking time varies depending on size of chole
- 6 to 7 medium sized onions cut thinly lengthwise
- 1 tomato finely chopped
- 4 tbsp oil (2tbsp + 2 tbsp)
- 6 pods of garlic and 1/2″ piece of ginger ground to a paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/4 tsp khada masala powder (this powder gives the basic flavour)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 to 3 1/2 tsp chilli powder (as per individual taste. Using kashmiri chilli powder gives the perfect colour)
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp crushed pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 th to 1/2 tsp amchur powder/dry mango powder (adjust as per individual choice as to how tangy you want it)
- 2 tsp kasuri methi / dry fenugreek leaves(adjust to taste, I like its flavour so added more)
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a nonstick pan add onions saute till the onions turn golden brown. Keep the flame between low to medium. Keep stirring taking care not to burn the onions. Cool and grind the browned onions to a fine paste using little water.Heat 2 tbsp oil add 2 bay leaves then add ginger garlic paste,saute well till the raw flavour diminishes,add onion paste, chopped tomato, saute well, add water to get an even consistency. Add coriander powder, cumin powder, khada masala powder,salt and finally add turmeric powder and red chilli powder(this wil give the perfect color).
- Then add crushed pomegranate seeds and amchur powder,kasuri methi, stir well then add boiled kabuli chana. Add water to get an even consistency. Saute well till oil leaves sides and let it boil.
- Serve hot chole with puris/ bhature or kulcha.
- The flavour of khada masala may vary due to size of star anise, cardamoms used. So first add 1 tsp of khada masala powder check the taste of chole and then add more if required.
- 1/2 cup kabuli chana soaked in water gives approximately 1 cup of kabuli chana.
- Pomegranate seeds gives the perfect sourness to the chole.Adjust the quantity of pomegranate seeds and dry mango powder to the tanginess you like.
The recipe that I follow for Khada Masala is by Chef Vishnu Manohar. This recipe is a keeper.Thanks to Chef Vishnu Manohar for sharing. Adding 1 tsp of this masala powder along with other spices enhances the taste of masala bhath, pulavs,veg biryani and punjabi recipes to the maximum.
- 2 Star Anise
- 1 tsp Cloves
- 2 tsp Cinnamon pieces
- 3 Badi Elaichi / Black Cardamom seeds
- 1 small Cardamom seeds
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Jaipatri / Mace
- Grind all ingredients above to a fine powder and keep in an airtight container. This proportion gives approximately 4 tsp khada masala powder. Store the powder in an air tight container. We always use khada masala to prepare pulav, biryani, masale bhath etc. Adding a tsp of this powder enhances the flavour of rice.