On the occassion of Akshayatritiya I’m posting a quick and easy sweet traditional konkan recipe Coconut Barfi.
- 1 1/2 cup freshly grated coconut (use the white part only)
- 1/4th cup khoya/ mawa(I used store bought)
- 3/4th cup sugar(adjust to taste)
- A few strands of kesar /saffron
- 1/4th tsp cardamom powder
- Grind the coconut gratings in spurts without adding water just to get an even texture and keep aside.
- Heat a flat nonstick / ceramic pan first saute the khoya well till it gives an even consistency and just changes colour( light pink) on LOW flame. Then add sugar and freshly grated coconut and stir well. First the mix will liquify and then it’ll start thickening.Add cardamom powder and saffron strands and mix well. Once it starts leaving the sides of the pan switch off the flame and keep stirring so that it does’nt stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Grease a plate with ghee and pour the mix in it. Level the mix with a greased bottom of a bowl lightly so that the barfi is soft while eating. Do not press tightly. Cut into shapes of your choice once the mix cools.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator as fresh coconut and khoya are used they have less shelf life.
- I prepare this barfi in small quantities that last for a day to enjoy maximum flavour.
- COOKING of barfi should be done on LOW flame only.