It’s the season of mangoes and around this time one variety of mangoes that is is used to make curry is Raival mangoes. Ambya cha Sasav is a traditional Konkan style mango curry recipe prepared from Raival variety of mangoes easily available in the Konkan belt, Goa and Mumbai too. This is a delicious coconut based mango curry that has a sweet,sour and spicy taste in equal proportions. This recipe is basically prepared on individual judgement since the quantity of chilli powder and jaggery to be added depends entirely on how sweet and sour the mangoes are.
- 6 to 8 Raival Mangoes (the sweet sour variety used to prepare sasav)
- 5 tbsp fresh grated coconut
- 4 black pepper
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 to 2 1/2 tsp bedgi OR kashmiri chilli powder (adjust to individual spice required keeping in mind black pepper is also added)
- 2 tsp oil
- 3/4th tsp mustard seeds
- 1/8 tsp asafoetida
- 4 to 5 fenugreek seeds
- Salt to taste
- 6 tbsp jaggery (adjust to individual taste depending on how sour the mangoes are and also depending on the sweetness of the jaggery)
- Wash the mangoes. Take a vessel, place the mangoes and add enough water to cover the mangoes and boil the mangoes in water for about 15 minutes or till the mangoes are cooked, on medium flame. After they are done remove from flame and allow it to cool. Once cool remove the skin of the mangoes, remove pulp on the skin, discard the skin, remove a little pulp from the mangoes and keep a little flesh on the seed too and keep them together.
- Grind coconut,turmeric, red chilli powder and black pepper to a smooth paste.
- Heat oil add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds. When they splutter add asafoetida saute and add the mangoes and its pulp. Mix well,add the ground paste, jaggery, salt and a little water to get an even consistency. Bring to a boil.
- Serve hot with steaming hot rice or chapatis.
- Adjust chilli powder and jaggery according to sourness of the mangoes. The taste has to be sweet, sour and spicy in equal proportions.
- When you add turmeric to kashmiri chilli powder and coconut and grind it together you get a nice orange red colour and the color is further brightened by organic jaggery.