This is a traditional Konkan mango curry recipe prepared from Raival variety of mangoes easily available in the Konkan belt, Goa and Mumbai too. A delicious coconut based mango curry that has a sweet,sour and spicy taste.
- 6 to 8 Raival Mangoes (the sweet sour variety used to prepare sasav)
- 5 tbsp fresh grated coconut
- 4 to 5 black pepper
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 to 2 1/2 tsp kashmiri chilli powder (adjust to individual taste)
- 2 tsp oil
- 3/4th tsp mustard seeds
- 1/8 tsp asafoetida
- 4 to 5 fenugreek seeds
- Salt to taste
- 6 tbsp jaggery (adjust to individual taste depending on how sour the mangoes are and also depending on the sweetness of the jaggery)
- Wash the mangoes. Take a vessel and add the mangoes and add enough water to cover the mangoes and boil the mangoes in water for about 15 minutes or till the mangoes are cooked, on medium flame. After they are done remove from flame and allow it to cool. Once cool remove the skin of the mangoes, remove pulp on the skin, remove the pulp from the mangoes and keep a little flesh on the seed too and keep them together. grind coconut,turmeric, red chilli powder and black pepper to a smooth paste.
- Heat oil add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds. When they splutter add a asafoetida saute and add the mangoes and its pulp. Mix well,add the ground paste, jaggery, salt and a little water to get an even consistency. Bring to a boil.
- Serve hot with rice or chapatis.
- Adjust chilli powder and jaggery according to sourness of the mangoes. The taste has to be sweet, sour and spicy.
- When you add turmeric to kashmiri chilli powder and coconut and grind it together you get a nice orange red colour and the color is further darkened by organic jaggery.