A simple fried rice recipe with the added goodness of crunchy cashews and spiciness of chilli flakes. Actually Jasmine rice is used in Chinese cooking, here I have used basmati rice. I adapted the idea of adding cashews and chilli flakes to fried rice from The Mainland China Cookbook by Anjan Chatterjee and the taste was awesome.I thank the author for this combo recipe.
- 2 tbsp Refined Groundnut oil
- 2 cups cooked basmati or any long grained rice
- 8 to 10 whole cashews halved, roasted in 2 tsp oil and kept aside
- 2 tsp grated ginger
- 4 to 5 garlic pods chopped fine
- 2 spring onion whites chopped lengthwise and the greens chopped fine
- 2 to 3 tsp chilli flakes (adjust to individual taste)
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp white pepper powder
- Finely chopped carrots and french beans blanched as per choice (when you blanch them add a pinch of salt to the water,it brightens the colour of beans and carrots)
- 1/2 tsp vinegar
- Salt to taste
- Heat a wok over a high flame add 1 tbsp oil and swirl it so that it coats the wok.Add finely chopped ginger, garlic,spring onion whites, chilli flakes and stirfry for a minute.
- Add blanched vegetables and stir fry. Add cooked rice and stir fry again.Add white pepper powder and salt.
- Add light soy sauce,and toss well. Finally sprinkle 1/2 tsp vinegar,stir fry well. Finally add roasted cashews and toss.
- Garnish with spring onion greens. Serve hot.
- The whole cooking should be done on high flame and constant stir frying to get the crunchy effect.
- Use refined groundnut oil.It makes a huge difference tastewise. Also Chinese cooking requires stir frying on high flame and groundnut oil can sustain high temperature.
- Light Soy Sauce is saltier so take it into consideration while adding salt.
- The flavour of soy sauce varies from brand to brand, so use accordingly.
Cooking the rice by open pot method :
- Wash 1 cup rice 3 to 4 times to let go off excess starch and drain the water.Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Add approximately thrice the quantity of water in a heavy bottomed pan and boil it. Add the rice, 1 tsp lime juice and 2 tsps of oil.
- Let it boil and once the rice is nearly cooked drain off excess water,transfer the rice to a flat plate and fluff up the rice with a fork. The rice should be tender but not mushy.
- Wash basmati rice, drain the water and set aside for about 30min. This reduces cooking time.
- Adding 1 tsp lemon juice to the rice while cooking gives separate grains of rice as well as a brighter look to the rice.
- 3/4th cup long grained rice gives approximately 2 cups rice after cooking depending on the size of the grain.