Its soothing to relish on chilled salads to beat the heat. Cucumbers have a lot of water content,approximately 90% water content, so relish on it to keep yourself hydrated in summers. I’m posting a simple yogurt based cucumber salad which goes well with steaming hot rice dal or even with rotis and also tastes great all by itself.
- 2 medium sized cucumber, skin peeled,ends sliced off and grated
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups fresh chilled thick yogurt (as per choice)
- 2 green chillies chopped fine
- Sugar to taste
- Salt to taste
- Finely chopped coriander leaves to garnish
Version 2 : topping the salad with seasoning
- 1 tsp ghee
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 green chillies chopped fine(adjust to taste and do not add chillies while mixing if adding while tempering)
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 2 to 3 curry leaves(optional)
- Coriander leaves to garnish
- Peel and grate the cucumber and keep aside.Cucumber releases a lot of moisture when grated. Squeeze the grated cucumber and keep the liquid separate.
- Just a little while before serving, in a mixing bowl whisk chilled curds, add salt, sugar, chopped green chillies and mix well. Add the grated cucumber to the curd mix. Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature with dal rice or rotis.
Version 2 :
- In a seasoning wok,heat ghee,add cumin seeds,when they crackle add asafoetida, green chillies and curry leaves and take off heat and mix well.
- Pour this seasoning over the salad and mix well. Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
- Do check the cucumber taste as at times a cucumber may be bitter.
- The water squeezed out from the grated cucumber contains nutrients, you could either drink it or add it to temperd dals.