A simple no onion no garlic dal recipe that’s quick and easy to make.
- 1/2 cup toor dal / split pigeon peas,rinsed well and soaked in water for an hour
- 1/4th tsp turmeric powder
- 1/8 tsp asafoetida
- 1 tbsp clarified ghee
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 green chillies chopped fine
- 2 to 3 curry leaves
- 1/2″ piece of ginger finely grated
- Pressure cook the soaked dal along with 1/8 tsp turmeric and a pinch of asafoetida until pressure is released four times so that the dal is cooked well. Once the pressure settles down, cool the dal and mash it well.
- Add water,to the dal to get an even consistency. Add rest of the turmeric powder,salt, stir well and let it simmer on low flame.
- In a seasoning pan heat ghee, add cumin seeds, when they crackle add a pinch of asafoetida, green chillies, curry leaves, switch off the flame add ginger, mix well and pour the seasoning over the dal. Mix well and cover for a minute so that the flavours sink into the dal.
- Serve piping hot with steamed rice and tawa fried veg of your choice or even with rotis.
- Adding turmeric powder while cooking the dal gives a nice colour to the dal.