Including seasonal fruits and vegetables in our diet gives maximum benefits. Cucumbers have a lot of water content,so relish on it to keep yourself hydrated in summers. Raw mangoes have numerous health benefits and are loaded with Vitamin C,so include it in your diet as much as possible. Here I’m posting a delicious cucumber salad with the crunch of peanuts, tang of raw mango flavour and added flavour of tempering. This salad goes well with steaming hot rice, dal or even with rotis and also tastes great all by itself.
- 2 medium sized cucumber, skin peeled,ends sliced off and cut into small cubes
- 1 tsp ghee
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 green chillies chopped fine(adjust to taste)
- A pinch of turmeric
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 2 to 3 curry leaves
- 1 1/2 tbsp grated raw mango(adjust as per tang required)
- Sugar to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1 1/2 to 2 tbsp coarsely ground roasted peanut powder
- 2 tbsp freshly grated coconut
- Coriander leaves to garnish
- Peel and dice the cucumber finely.
- If you dice the cucumber much before serving,store it in the referigerator, else it will release a lot of moisture.
- Just a little while before serving transfer the chilled cucumber cubes in a serving bowl and add coarsely ground peanuts,sugar,grated raw mango and lastly add salt and mix well(never add salt in advance as it releases moisture).
- In a seasoning wok,heat ghee,add cumin seeds,when they crackle add asafoetida, turmeric powder,green chillies and curry leaves and take off heat and mix well.
- Pour this seasoning over the salad and mix well. Garnish with coriander leaves and freshly grated coconut.
- This salad tastes best when served chilled.
- Do check the cucumber taste as at times a cucumber may be bitter.
- The tempering of ghee can be substitued with oil and cumin seeds with mustard seeds.
- Here a little extra sugar needs to be added as raw mangoes are sour.
- This recipe is a regular on fasting days too. Ghee,cumin seeds and green chillies are used for tempering and coriander leaves and curry leaves,asafoetida, turmeric powder are skipped out.