A simple, quick and easy evening snack / breakfast recipe made from leftover idlis.
- 5 idlis
- 4 tbsp freshly grated coconut
- 4 green chillies(adjust to spice required) crushed in a mortar and pestle
- 1 dry red chilly broken into 3 parts
- A sprig of curry leaves
- 1 1/2 tbsp oil
- 1/4th tsp asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- Salt to taste( keeping in mind idlis have salt)
- Crumble the idlis evenly with fingers. Add salt keeping in mind idlis also have salt in it.Add the crushed chillies and mix well.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, when they splutter add asafoetida,curry leaves and dry red chilly. Mix well, add the crumbled idlis.Saute till all ingredients are mixed well. Add freshly grated coconut and mix well.
- Serve hot as a tea time snack or for breakfast.
- Adding crushed chillies gives an even spiciness to the usli.
- Idli Upma tastes best with leftover idlis as they become a little dry. Idlis can be crumbled easily when kept in the refrigerator.
- As not many ingredients are added fresh coconut gives added taste to the usli.
- If you like the flavour of raw asafoetida(hing) you could add it while crushing the chillies.Tastes good too.
- Usually coconut oil is used, but you can use oil of your choice.