Aamras is one of the most loved sweet that can be served as a dessert or with hot puris(deep fried Indian bread). Aamras is the pulp of the ripe mango fruit,flavoured with cardamom and black pepper. In Konkan a little jaggery is added and a pinch of black pepper is also added to neutralize the heat effect in mangoes and to aid digestion and yes it tastes good too.
- 5 ripe Alphonso mangoes ( any variety of your choice will also do,taste will vary)
- Jaggery to taste(optional depending on sweetness of mangoes)
- 1/4th tsp cardamom powder
- A pinch of crushed black pepper on every bowl of aamras while serving
- Rinse the mangoes well, pat dry with a clean cloth. Cut off the top stem portion so that there is no sap around. Soften the mango by squeezing gently and squeeze out the pulp from the stem portion into a mixing bowl. Gently squeeze out flesh from the mango stone and from the skin too if any. Repeat the same with rest of the mangoes.
- Check the sweetness of the pulp, add jaggery as per choice. Blend the pulp in spurts(not much) to get an even consistency. Add cardamom powder and mix well.
- Serve immediately or chill in the refrigerator for an hour. While serving garnish each serving with a pinch of crushed black pepper. Serve as a dessert or with hot puris.
I used organic jaggery.