Its the season of fresh tender cashews which is most loved by all. I’m posting a maharashtrian/ konkan recipe thats spicy and tasty at the same time.
- 100 gms fresh tender cashews skin peeled,washed and kept aside.
- 1 onion chopped fine
- 1 potato peeled,cut into small cubes and dipped in water
- 4 pods of garlic +a small piece of ginger + 1 green chilly + 1 sprig of coriander leaves ground together to a smooth paste
- 2 tbsp oil
- A piece of tamarind (optional)
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 2 to 3 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder (adjust to taste)
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves to garnish
Roasted Masala to be ground to a paste
- 1 small onion finely cut lengthwise
- 4 tbsp freshly grated coconut
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp aniseed/saunf/badishep
- 4 black pepper
- 2 cloves
- 1/2 star anise
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a non stick/ceramic pan,add bay leaf,coriander seeds,cumin seeds, cloves, black pepper, star anise,aniseed and roast the spices on low flame till fragrant.transfer to a plate, add onions in the same pan and roast till brown(do not burn), transfer to a plate,then add grated coconut, roast till brown on low heat.
- Grind the roasted onion, coconut, spices, a pinch of turmeric , a little red chilli powder, tamarind to a fine paste adding little water.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a nonstick/ ceramic pan, add finely chopped onions and saute till golden then add ginger garlic green chilly coriander leaves paste and saute well till you get the aroma then add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and saute. Add cashews and potato and saute well till the spices coats the cashews and potato. Then add hot water to cook the cashews and potato. The cashews should be crunchy and soft but not mushy. Cook till 3/4th done then add the ground paste and a littlle water to get an even consistency . Boil well and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with chapati, rice,solkadi and tomato onion sliced lengthwise.
- Adding hot water enhances the colour of the gravy as well as gives the oily look to the gravy.
- I like the mild flavour of whole spices with main spiciness coming from chilli powder. Star anise has a strong flavour but it gives a very nice aroma and flavour to the gravy. Add only half star anise so that it does not overpower the basic flavour of the gravy. If the star anise is really big then add one petal less than half of it.
Peeling cashews :
- Soak fresh tender cashews in hot water and set aside for about an hour or two so it’ll be easier to peel the skin. Apply oil on your palms and peel the skin,halve them and rinse the cashews and they are ready to be used. DO NOT eat them raw as it can itch your throat.