Raw mango pickle is an integral part of a simple meal. A quick and easy fresh raw mango pickle recipe using low sodium salt and comparatively less amount of oil.
- 1/4th kg firm unripe green mangoes
- 2 1/2 tbsp skinless split mustard seeds(moharichi dal)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 4 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder (adjust to individual taste)
- 1/4th tsp asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp oil to roast the fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- Wash the mangoes thoroughly and pat dry totally with a clean cotton cloth. Cut them into small cubes so that the pickle masala coats the pieces well. Set aside in a mixing bowl.
- In a seasoning pan heat 1/2 tsp oil,add fenugreek seeds, roast till you get uts aroma, cool it and pound the fenugreek seeds to powder form. In the same seasoning pan heat 2 tbsp oil to smoking point, switch off the flame and let it cool to room temperature.
- In a mixing bowl combine the powdered fenugreek seeds,split mustard seeds,asafoetida,salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder. Add this spice mix to the mango pieces and mix well with a dry spoon till the spices coat the raw pieces totally. Pour the cooled oil over the mango pieces and once again mix well .
- Transfer the pickle to a clean, totally dry glass jar. Refrigerate the pickle and remove only as much pickle as needed during each use.Use a dry spoon each time.This pickle stays fresh for more than a week if handled properly.
- Serve it with dal rice,curd rice,sweet puris,bhakris,thalipeeth or parathas.
- The mangoes should be firm,sour,unripe and the flesh should be white and the skin blemish free.
- Split skinless mustard seeds is the main ingredient that gives the pickle its flavour. Do not skip it. They are easily available at the grocery store.
- The quantity of oil mentioned is enough for the pickle. DO NOT ADD more oil as it tends to give an unpleasant odour even if refrigerated. Instead remove required quantity of pickle for each use and you can prepare a fresh seasoning (heat, cool oil and pour over the pickle)over the quantity removed. But actually you don’t really need it. I’m mentioning this only because some people like it that way.
- I have used low sodium salt.
- I prefer making raw mango pickle in small batches as these days raw mangoes are literally available throughout the year.Most important you can enjoy its flavours using less oil and salt.