A simple, quick and easy dal with a dash of teppal for flavour.
- 1/2 cup split pigeon peas / toor dal
- 5 tbsp freshly grated coconut
- 1/4th tsp turmeric powder
- 21/2 tsp kashmiri chilli powder (adjust to taste)
- 4 teppal (remove the shiny black seed in it)
- 2 kokum OR a piece of tamarind
- Salt to taste
- Wash the toor dal well till water runs clear. Soak it in water for about 30 minutes( soaked dal helps in faster cooking of the dal).Pressure cook the dal until pressure is released 3 times, so that the dal is cooked well. Transfer the cooked dal in a deep pan, mash it well,add a little water to get an even consistency and let it simmer on low heat.
- Grind freshly grated coconut, turmeric powder, chilli powder to a smooth paste adding little water. If using tamarind grind it along with the coconut. Crush the teppal slightly in a mortar and pestle.
- Add the ground paste and crushed teppal and kokum( if you are using kokum)to the boiling dal and let it simmer. Add little water if required to get desired consistency and bring the dal to a boil.
- Serve hot with steaming hot rice and shallow fried fritters of your choice.
- It is very important to REMOVE the shiny black seed in the teppal.
- DO NOT CONSUME THE TEPPAL while eating DISCARD it as it has a very strong taste. Teppal is used to add flavour and aroma to the dal.