A no fuss quick, simple and easy stir fry recipe that can be served as a side dish with polis or even dal rice.
- 1/4 th kg tender bhendi / okra / bhindi / lady’s finger
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/8 tsp asafoetida
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 to 1 1/2 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- 2 kokum pieces
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp freshly grated coconut
- 3 sprigs of finely chopped coriander leaves to garnish
- Rinse the okra well. Pat dry totally with a cotton cloth. There should be no moisture left. Cut off the edges and cut into 3/4 th cm roundels with a dry steel knife.
- Heat oil in a nonstick/ ceramic pan, add mustard seeds, when they splutter add asafoetida, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, saute, immediately add sliced okra and saute, add kokum and stir fry over low heat till done. Okra shrinks as it cooks, hence add salt after it is almost cooked.
- Stir fry well till done. Garnish with freshly grated coconut and coriander leaves. Serve hot as a side dish with rotis or dal rice.
- You can add green chillies in place of red chilli powder as a variation to the recipe. You can also add onions to the tempering along with green chillies and saute till transluscent.
- DO NOT COVER the pan as steam releases moisture and the okra will become slimy and mushy when it comes in contact with water.
- If you do not have kokum you can add 1 to 1 1/2 tsp lime juice.
- Salt releases moisture, also okra tends to shrink when cooked, hence add salt when okra is almost cooked.